Tuesday, December 18, 2012

My first steps

All journey's start with the first step...or skip I suppose, but I'm a stepper not a skipper. Unless I wear those funny hats, but that's a story for another day.

My first steps into photography actually started with my first trip to Alaska. I had a little compact digital and I took as many pictures as I could. It wasn't really about the photography or getting distinct pictures, it was more about being in a place I had never been, always wanted to go, and thought I would never come back. It wasn't until I got home and showed my roommate the pictures that I received my first positive reactions to my photos.

Even then I can't say I was "bitten" by the photo bug. That next step was thanks to my father. For Christmas last year he gave me a Nikon D3100 and I fell in love. From the moment I unpacked it and pressed the shutter button I knew I wanted to learn more and more about photography, light, and the wishful attempt to master both.

Over this past year, I've read numerous books created a Facebook page and my own website. I have also fallen down the Scott Kelby hole. He has some great books and videos on how to improve your photography and has built an empire around them. I tip my hat to you Mr. Kelby.

I've also come to the realization that I know almost nothing about photography and if this journey will teach me anything it'll be patience.

I'm looking forward to my journey, taking each step one by one knowing that it'll truely never end.







1 comment:

  1. I'm thrilled you've started blogging! Those are some great shots for your first post. Well done!

    ReplyDelete